If you're running an e-commerce store, you may be wondering if product photography is worth the investment.
In short, the answer is yes. Product photography is crucial for e-commerce stores and in this blog post we'll dive deeper into why that is and how you can ensure that you get the most out of your investment.
Product photography contributes to consistency across e-commerce by providing a standardisation of images across all channels: such as on the website, on social media, and in advertisements. This clear and consistent product imagery ensures that customers receive a consistent experience, no matter where they encounter the product. This cohesive visual branding helps customers recognise products, builds trust and credibility, which can also lead to increased sales and customer loyalty (read more about brand consistency here).
Shoot in RAW
Shooting in RAW format is highly beneficial for product photography because it gives greater control over image quality and greater flexibility when editing. RAW files contain all the information captured by the camera's sensor, which means that you have greater control over the image's quality during post-processing. Exposure, white balance, sharpness, and other settings can be adjusted without losing image quality.
RAW files also typically have more detail and colour depth than JPEG files, which means you can capture and retain more information about the product. This can be especially important where the small details, textures, and colours play a significant role in the final image. RAW files also offer better noise reduction capabilities than JPEG files, which can be beneficial when shooting in low light situations or when using high ISO settings.
Lighting is crucial in product photography because it can significantly affect how the product is perceived and how it appears in the final photograph.
Why lighting is important for product photography:
- Enhances the product's features: Good lighting can help bring out the product's features and showcase its unique characteristics. This can help potential customers better understand the product and its benefits.
- Eliminates dramatic shadows and reflections: Dramatic shadows and reflections can distract from the product and make the image appear unprofessional. Proper lighting techniques can help to eliminate these unwanted elements and create a clean, polished image.
Craft a Story
Here are a few ways that good product photography can help craft a story:
- Creates an emotional connection: By showcasing the product in an appealing way, you can create a story around the product that resonates with customers and makes them feel invested in the products.
- Product photography can communicate the product's features and benefits in a visually compelling way, allowing customers to understand what sets the product apart from others in the market.
- Product photography can create a mood or atmosphere that helps tell a story about the product. By using lighting, props, and composition, you can create an ambiance that reflects the product's character.
The Styeshoots (from Profoto) Eclipse provides the perfect opportunity to craft a story for your product.
High-quality product photography is able to provide a realistic representation of the product, allowing customers to get a clear idea of what they are purchasing. With accurate product photography, customers are more likely to trust the product and make an informed purchase decision. A clear and detailed image can help customers understand how the product works and its unique selling points. By providing clear and accurate images of the product, customers are less likely to be disappointed with their purchase and less likely to return it.